Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The GAiT-way

   Today, I underwent my much-anticipated 3D GAiT assessment at SoleScience in the Fowler Kennedy clinic at Western University.
   The assessment was carried out by Lyndsey Carey, a Masters student and assistant to Dr. Colin Dombroski, head of SoleScience. The GAiT assessment is part and parcel of the treatment plan, involving orthotics, which my plantar fasciitis has made necessary.
   The GAiT assessment arrived at Western via the University of Calgary, and it was developed by Dr. Reed Ferber, after many years of research. As its name implies, the program's infra-red cameras and its attendant software provide a 3D look at an athlete's gait and are more able to pick out his or her risk factors for lower body injuries. It can also predict which part of the lower body might be more prone to an injury than another. This allows an athlete to direct the proper resources toward strengthening that particular area of the body.
Me, trying to look like I'm running...
   The assessment begins with having reflectors attached to strategic areas of the athlete's body. At left, I am on the treadmill with all the reflectors attached to the back of my knees, calves, waist, ankles and shoes. The trio of cameras behind me, on the right, pick up the reflectors as I walk and then run and transfer the data from them into the computer. The software takes over from there.

The camera setup.
   What you end up with is a plethora of bio-mechanical information demonstrating pronation and supination as well as "movement patterns in all 3 dimensions (flex/extension, abd/adduction, and rotations) for the ankle, knee, hip and pelvis". And, hopefully, when I sit down with Colin this week to discuss the results of the assessment, the previous sentence will take on some kind of meaning for me!
   All in all, it was a fascinating experience and I can hardly wait to see what it all tells me. 

Lyndsey, compiling my data.
The screen, little bits of me all over the place!
   It also afforded me my first opportunity to be on a working treadmill. You may find this hard to believe, but in all my sixty years I've managed to totally avoid the thing. Much of my time was spent just trying to maintain my balance and not fall off. Once used to it, though, the running stride became much more natural and less strained. Hopefully, this produced better results.
Lyndsey in her workplace.
   Tomorrow, I return to sit down with Colin and discuss both the results and how the orthotics seem to be working. I've quite quickly recovered from my run the other day, both the heel and shin have come around nicely. I find this encouraging and hope it's a trend!
   Many thanks to Lyndsey (who is now bemused with the possibility of being famous) for graciously consenting to stay past closing time so that my work schedule could be accomodated and we could get this assessment completed before my appointment tomorrow. Also, many thanks to Dr. Colin Dombroski for allowing me to document the whole procedure. It was fun!
  



 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment