Sunday, February 22, 2015

"224"

   Just got back in from a 5K run about an hour ago. The snow was falling as I ran and I was really wishing I'd brought my cap along, instead of a toque, as it would have kept the snow off my face and glasses. I realized my error in judgement in this regard about nine or ten houses away from my place but, at that point, the thought of stopping and returning for my cap was more than I thought I could handle. I'm one of those guys who, on a long car trip, would rather just drive til he got there, rest stops be damned. So on I ran!
The sidewalk in front of my house.
It's under there somewhere!
   It had lightly snowed overnight as well and there was about an inch and a half of the fresh stuff today. This didn't bother me too much as I would much rather run on fresh snow than ice. The only problematic part of the run was along the major roadways, as the snowplows had come along and done their thing which, in turn, had caused debris to topple over the edge of the snowbanks and down onto the sidewalk. Which meant I had to run around (or through) it.
   At this point of the winter, I am really looking forward to seeing pavement and bare trails again. In the snow, it seems as though every time your foot plants and plows forward it also slips sideways maybe half an inch. Multiply that half an inch by a few thousand footfalls and we're running way farther than we need to!
   
The semi-tunnel leading up to our front steps
Okay, remember my first line up at the top of this post where I talk about just having gotten back from a 5K run? Well, that was yesterday people and, yes, this post has taken a little longer than I originally planned, obviously. The bonus, though, is that I can tell you I feel fine after yesterday's run and am even maybe planning on another one today. And it's rare when I run two days in a row anymore, so wish me luck!

   Oh, and about the title---"224". I used that as a gentle reminder of how much I weighed yesterday. I try to be as little "weight-centered" as possible and concentrate more on how I actually feel but I've decided that I simply don't want to weigh more than 224. So I will do my damnedest not to get above that. If I do something that gets me way down below that, then that's all fine and dandy. If I stay there, then that's kinda fine and dandy too, no probs. But I won't go above it. Nope.
Post-run, foggy-glasses pic.
   The nice thing about this weekend was that it was way warmer than last weekend. Eastern Canada was in the midst of a brutal deep freeze a week ago which made running outside more of a survival exercise than a training one, with windchill temps close to -40C. This weekend, the temps are a lot more seasonal at around -7C and it actually seems freakin' balmy out. Break out the windbreakers!

   Finally, one more post-run pic from yesterday. As we all know, layers are the way to go this time of year and in this pic I've got four of them on. A tech layer on the bottom, a cotton layer and then two more "tech" layers. By "tech" layer, I mean "hockey jersey"---a long-sleeved jersey underneath another jersey with cut-off sleeves. All of this in homage to my ball hockey days which, hopefully, will resume this summer!
   
Totally photobombed by Squeaker,
one of our four cats (think she
was waiting for a hug....)
Okay, time for another run!

4 comments:

  1. Way to go, Brian! It felt tropical today with 25 degrees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics! It's been a strange winter in Alberta. We have much less snow than usual. But I will be so glad when it's all gone! Last year I wrote about snow every other day for work. It was such a pain in the butt! lol Happy running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Crystal! The first part of our winter was very mild and I was thinking karma was kicking in after the winter we had last year. Then the snow and deep freeze hit and we've been setting the bad kind of records for several weeks now. Glad to hear it's been nicer out there for you!

      Delete