Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Resolution Ran

Before...
   Last night I ran in the Brita Resolution Run, 5K version. This is a race run annually and last night's instalment was its twenty-eighth.
   Leading up up to the race I had not, for a variety of reasons, been able to complete a 5K training run and I was very concerned that this same thing might happen again last night.
   Fortunately, though, I was able to complete the run quite easily. This likely may have had something to do with the pace--for the first two kilometers or so several hundred runners were trying trying to use the same narrow, snow-covered sidewalk and none of us were able to go much faster than a brisk walk. On top of this there were occasional stoplights to be dealt with, relegating us to running on the spot and getting a bit of a breather that way.
   Eventually, many of us abandoned the sidewalk and took to the bare streets. This made the run quite a bit more enjoyable.
   On top of everything else, the weather co-operated magnificently. There was no further snow, very little wind and the temp actually hovered at slightly above freezing. The weather had been my biggest fear and this turned out to be unfounded.
...and after!
   What made the whole event even more enjoyable was having my sweetie, Doralyn, there. She did a marvelous job of chauffeuring me there and back (enabling me to choke down an energy bar on the way) but, even more than that, she knew I had concerns about the run and went out of her way to re-assure me. And to her have her smiling, beautiful face there at the finish line simply topped off a great evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment