Monday, October 21, 2013

Putting the "13" Back Into 2013?

   It's been a strange kind of year, this 2013.
   From a running standpoint, it started out fine. The winter weather here in Canada never got to the point where running was impossible, although there were a handful of nasty days.
   I was loving it and started piling on the mileage. Well, I piled on the mileage a little too soon. And I ran in shoes that were already worn out. No sooner said than done and I had basically started 2013 with plantar fasciitis.
Particularly bad if you've placed
all your eggs in the same basket!

   If you've had PF you understand how pernicious it can be. It was very much a trial-and-error kind of thing, attempting to heal it up. Just when you think you're good to go, you find out you're not. Then, when you actually are good to go, you feel as though it may only be fleeting. So I briefly got back to running when suddenly I was dealing with biopsy  stitches and sun damage.
   So I sat on my butt while letting stitches heal and undergoing face treatment. This was strange, because I was all set to run--I was rested and the legs felt good. But I couldn't, for this reason and that reason. At the same time, there were time limits on all my limitations and I knew when they would be up.
   They were up this weekend. As luck would have it, though, while sitting on my bed Thursday morning, pulling on my socks, I strained my back badly. The scary part is I'm not really sure how I did it--I wasn't lifting anything heavy and had not gotten myself into an injurious position. It must have been the "perfect storm" of back injuries--the right amount of pressure at just the right angle with just the right amount of ill-preparedness. So, in rather freaky fashion, I am "on the shelf" yet one more time, though I suspect only briefly.

   As is my habit, I move from one setback to the next rather effortlessly. Not a lot of hand-wringing or teeth-gnashing going on here. But when I look back at the year, there does seem to more than the usual bad luck going on.
   I'm not really the superstitious sort and the fact that I've had this run of bad luck (did I mention I need a hearing aid?) during a year which ends with "13" hasn't really even fizzed on me. My "bad luck" I think has been nothing much more than things catching up to me all at the same time.
   At the same time, I am glad the year is almost over...
  

2 comments:

  1. I felt like I angered the running gods this year too. At least in the beginning, I was dealing with cold after cold and then an injury. Here's hoping 2014 is better for all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. I didn't even think of it being 2013, and this is the year of my broken foot! Plus, I still have scars on my knees where I fell.

    ReplyDelete