Monday, April 20, 2015

My Non-Forrest Moment and a Strange Click in My Hip!

   Yesterday afternoon, I played my first game of ball hockey in about two and a half years. Because it's been so long, there was a fair amount of trepidation on my part as to how I would perform and how my body might react.
   I was pleasantly surprised!
   In my last blog post, I described my concern that, at full speed in the midst of a game, my body might disintegrate. I've been doing lots of running over the last couple of years but none of it has been at full speed and I was worried that parts of me might actually fall off, a la Forrest Gump's leg braces, if I ever actually got up to full speed.
   Well, there were a handful of times yesterday that I at least almost obtained full speed and nothing really bad happened, it pretty well felt like any other time in my life when I've run hard. My other concern was that perhaps my hand/eye coordination might be off as well but even it didn't seem too bad.
Well...it was to HIM anyway!
   I'm on a team called the Outlaws and it seems to be a whole bunch of guys who've never played together before. And they're almost all young, so young in fact that a few of them could technically be my grandchildren (though perhaps not realistically).
   This is not a new situation for me, I'm the oldest player in the league and pretty well always have been. You can look like and be the oldest player in the league but the trick is to not play like you are. I kind of think I held my own today, not sure what the other guys were thinking.
   So I felt okay yesterday and I felt okay last night but I'm kinda feeling it this morning. One thing I did learn yesterday is that a lot of distance running is not necessarily going to prepare you for the stopping and starting, twisting and turning, and bumping into guys at high speed you experience playing ball hockey.
   On top of it all, my hip now clicks.
   I got home and showered after the game and then sat and watched T.V. for a bit. The first time I stood up and walked across the room after that, my left hip was clicking. It didn't hurt and but I could feel it and it was loud enough that Doralyn could hear it as well (and it kind of grossed her out!)
I immediately went to Google, typed in my symptoms, and it appears as though my IT band is snapping across my hip bone, to dumb it down a little bit. At least the description of this exactly matched what I've been feeling and hearing. I will let this go for a little bit (my usual way of dealing with physical ailments) but if it continues for too long I may seek medical advice, or at least check in with Zeinin, my chiropractor.
   This was obviously my first time playing with this team but I have pretty good feelings about it. The talent level seems to be there but what I appreciated even more than that was they seem like good guys. This is always more important to me than how much talent there might be. I've played on some extremely talented teams in my day that were awful to play on simply because of nasty personalities and over-inflated egos but, so far, this doesn't seem to be the case with this team. The next game is tomorrow and I hope things have loosened up by then---I can't imagine having to play again today! So we'll see how it goes and I'll let you know!
   

5 comments:

  1. I used to play ball hockey! I miss it! I played in an all men's league until the next year when they decided to start a women's league in Ottawa. Gosh the guys hated me (those who didn't want to date me!). Nobody wanted me on their team. Eventually by the end of the season, I had won them over with my skills! :) Did you do any warm down or rehab before plopping yourself down on the couch? I find it's good to keep moving etc then I sit down. lol Good for you for getting back into it. What position do you play?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to play pick-up ball hockey on a regular basis and one of the places we played there was this one lady who showed up regularly. Pound-for-pound, she was one of the best players out there, skill-wise! I have a female friend who's gay and played goal in a women's league here in London. I asked her to come and play goal for us one night and she played really well. She was also pretty cute and a couple pf guys were asking about afterwards. Had to break their hearts lol! In the league I play in now, ther used to be a couple of Rhyno brothers and I wondered if maybe they were related?

      Delete
  2. oh! was it fun? are you sore? You will have a grand time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It WAS fun! (though my tummy was churning a touch before the game...nerves) And I am QUITE sore this morning but at least I have an awesome reason!

      Delete
  3. So glad you feel better about playing now. You know what I'm going to say: GET THEE TO A DOCTOR!!!!

    ReplyDelete