Sunday, August 19, 2018

Back To The Trails, Running

   Yesterday, I decided to go for a run!
   Last weekend, I finished my hiking project for the summer and now I'm going to try and concentrate on running some trails. I had planned on running end-to-end in Komoka Park but then found out that the powers that be had erected a brand new guard rail right across the little parking area I (and a bunch of) used to use to avoid the parking fee in the main lot at Komoka. So THAT was a no-go. I then changed my plans and headed for Kains Woods, which was only about 2 minutes away (literally). Once there, my plan was to run 4K and then turn around and hike back.
   Well, I had run less than 1K when my knee flared up. It had been fine til I started to run up some hills and then I got a bit of a twinge. Ignored it and then a couple of minutes later got a bigger twinge so, at that point, I shut her down and just hiked back.
   
In retrospect, this kind of mirrors last year at this time. I'd finished hiking and reverted to trail-running but found I had to build back up, almost from zero. So maybe I'll do this again. It WAS a little disappointing because my knee was feeling almost completely back to normal. Apparently, though, it isn't. What is different about this year, however, is that I now have some physio behind me and perhaps can return to doing some of the exercises and knee-taping I had been doing. Disappointing but then all I need do is remind myself that I know people who can't even walk and who would love to have a twinging knee! 

2 comments:

  1. I like the exclamation mark after "run" in the first sentence :) You know you can hike and run at the same time - meaning hike a little, run a little, hike a little. Boom. Two rocks with one stone. Sounds like you had a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...not sure how I missed your comment, Crystal! Sorry! Actually, when I "run" there is, and always will be, a little bit of hiking thrown in! And I remember on one of my earlier hikes when I thought I was lost and was running out of daylight, I actually ran a little! So it works both ways, I guess!

      Delete