Sunday, October 13, 2013

Biding My Time...Barely

   Last year, dead in the middle of a Canadian winter, I became a runner.
   I had taken my first tenuous strides toward this in the summer, at the beginning of August. Doralyn had registered us for a ten week Learn To Run course at the local Running Room and I spent August and September learning to do just that---run.
   I was pretty sure when I began that I would make it through this course and then just stop running. Really, I had never run before, found it kind of boring and could not see myself becoming a runner. Then a funny kind of thing happened when the course ended. I didn't stop!
   I kept on running, partly because I was starting to feel the health benefits and partly because I was amazing myself.
   Along the way, I began to ask myself the same question all of us runners have asked ourselves at one point or another. Am I a real runner?
   This question was answered for me in the middle of the aforesaid Canadian winter.
   I was running at the tail end of blizzards. I was running
One of my run days last winter...
through sleet storms. I was running through fog and rain. I was running on slush which turned to ice which turned to slush again, all in the same run. I was running in snow above my ankles. I was running in temps cold enough to bring tears to my eyes.

   This, then, was when I knew I was a runner.
   No casual jogger would have done what I did. They would have taken one look out the window and found something else to do.
   I actually put on the bulk of my miles over the winter. This is also when I lost the most weight. At some point, it occurred to me that running was something I was always going to be doing and I desperately began to look forward to Spring. Because now I was a runner.
   Unfortunately, Spring and PF arrived almost simultaneously. There were bare roads and sidewalks to run on but I couldn't. Gradually, the PF healed and I was able to more or less get back to where I was but then, all of then sudden, I've got biopsy stitches that need to heal and then, right after that, a three-week face treatment which also requires me to be on the sidelines. And I am still in the middle of that...
   I am anticipating that sometime in the not-too-distant future I will be running once again, unimpeded by outside forces. And when that time comes...it will be Winter again!

4 comments:

  1. Funny, this might be my next post. I was just thinking that I ran last winter, and it was brutal, even though I gave myself permission to let go and start over in the spring. Now that I'm injured, will I be running this winter? I have two, possibly three half-marathons in the spring. Hmmmm. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Steph! I actually now have a gym membership and will have access to all sorts of treadmills if the weather gets TOO bad, although I think it would have to be pretty bad...there's just something about running outside!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And we will be here waiting for your stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! lol The hard part is coming up with stories NOW...!

      Delete