Sunday, October 6, 2013

Half-Marasprinters!

   A few weeks ago, after I'd finished running in the 5k event at the Springbank Road Races, I hung around and watched the finish of much of the half marathon.
   There was a reasonably steady stream of runners crossing the finish line and, for the most part, by the time they got there they were single runners, with occasionally two of them running fairly close together.
   A couple of times, however, runners found themselves more or less shoulder-to-shoulder in the last two to three hundred meters and a strange thing happened. They began to race each other! In a full-out sprint!
   So, I know you're thinking well, it was a race wasn't it?
   Of course it was a race and that was part of the fun of it, being timed and photographed and maybe getting some swag and perhaps collecting points but the very few times I've raced I've clearly still considered it a very individual kind of thing, comparing my race results more with what my own expectations might have been rather than how I fared running against other people.
A little bit of confusion going on?
   Now, I have no idea whether these half-marathoners-turned-sprinters knew each other or perhaps had had some earlier interaction during the race or whether it was just a little bit of competitive overdrive going on as they bolted down the stretch but it raised some interesting questions, at least in my mind.

   Was it appropriate? What I mean by this is was there any intent on the part of either of the runners to "show up" the other runner and pass him in front of the bulk of spectators? Or did one runner simply maintain his race pace, which then took him past the lead runner, who then felt compelled to respond? Was it just good-natured competition...?
   Should you pay any attention the runners around you? In my short-lived racing experience, I have yet to feel comfortable passing people. I know that it's inevitable that you will both pass and be passed during the course of a race but I still feel way too apologetic in my head whenever I'm the one doing the passing. Not that it happens all that often...
   If you have enough energy left at the end of a race to go into a full-out sprint, then have you been rationing it properly? Perhaps if either of those runners had used that extra energy a little earlier in the race, then there wouldn't have been that head-to-head finish at the end. I know for a fact that I could have sprinted at the end of my 5k but I chose not to because I was...well...tired. But the energy was there so why didn't I expend it during the race, or any of my training runs, for that matter?
   Was testosterone a factor? In both instances, it was guys sprinting at the end, which did not surprise me. But is this behaviour totally a "guy thing" or would you be just as likely to see two women battling it out at the end like that?

   I have always had a bit of a fantasy about coming to the last three or four hundred meters of a race, having maybe four or five runners ahead of me and then passing them, one by one, as I head into the finish line. I'm not exactly sure what fuels that particular fantasy (perhaps it's the drama) as I am not overly competitive by nature. So far, I've never been in that situation either--the finishes I've been involved in have all been where, as I got close to the finish line, the runners ahead of me were way ahead of me and basically out of reach. What I also find is that my fuel for fantasy has been all used up just getting to the damn finish line!


Have you ever found yourself involved in an all-out sprint against a fellow runner at the end of a distance race? 
  
  
  
  
  
  

8 comments:

  1. I can only speak for me and I agree that I compare results for me and my personal goals, but I have to be honest I have a natural competitiveness and I do ace people of my similar ability. As do others do the same to me. In fact at a race 2 weeks ago a girl came up to me and asked I had run a local race. I said yes and she said "thanks for the push. I wanted to pass you bad." I think that is okay too and we have very little testosterone!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, it is a race, and I am there to race and beat people. It's never personal, but if we are neck and neck towards the end and I have more kick to give, you bet I'm going to do everything I can to pass you. It's not about showing people up; every time this has happened to me, regardless of whether I've been the winner or not, there has always been a smile and a handshake and a "Good job!" / "Thanks for pushing me!" at the finish line. Speaking for myself, sometimes I don't realize I have more to give until someone else is sprinting right next to me, so although in the grand scheme of things I'm *really* only racing myself, having a bit of competition at the finish helps me dig deeper and run a faster time than I would have otherwise. (And obviously, it is not just a guy thing. I think it's more about the individual people & their personalities, goals, competitiveness, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to admit it but sometimes it's that other person who's been neck and neck with me through the entire race who gives me the strength to push myself and pass them at the finish line. It is a race and I'm pretty competitive whether I'm in the front of the pack or mid pack. And there have been times when I didn't pass that other person too. I'm always a good sport but I also always want to do my best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahahah...no i never sprint at then end of a race. Tho really if i am bein honest...i do bust a gut to give it all i can and run all out. And if that means passing others,then I do. But i am far from fast.I do like to psh myself always at the end. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will admit to pushing hard as soon as I see that finish line. However, I am usually so drained by that point, I don't notice anyone around me. I am just so happy that the race is almost over! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is nothing wrong with passing someone at any point during a race. And yes, I have sometimes gone head-to-head with someone those last hundred yards or so. It's fun, especially if I'm trying for a PR. And if I'm passed, I say, "Good job" because I often hear the same thing when I'm passing someone. Love that mutual support runners have!

    As for the finishing sprint - sometimes you don't know you have it until you kick it in. This happened to me at my last 5-mile trail race. I was gassed, but near the finish someone came up hard behind me and I found the energy to sprint and edged him out. Great feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, everyone, it sounds as though there's a pretty clear consensus here! A race is a race, there's always room for competition, and a positive attitude about it all works well! Okay, guess I need to kick some butt in my next race!

    ReplyDelete