Saturday, January 25, 2014

My little after-the-blizzard run!

Before I set out, tried to show
the wind whipping the snow off rooftops
but it's hard to see.
   We had another of those what- seems-like-an-every-other-day-occurrence kinds of snowstorms again last night and into this morning.
   When I went to bed last night, I took a quick peek out the front door and the wind was blowing hard but no snow. Well, sometime overnight the snow hooked up with the wind and turned into a blizzard and as I sat this morning with my coffee I wondered about going for a run and whether it was really a good idea. And then I remembered I'm a runner from Canada!! So I headed out!
   Of course, I thought about this for so long that by the time it came to actually get out there, the worst of the storm was over. Not to say that it had turned pleasant or anything but at least the sun was trying to make an appearance. Even with the sun, though, the temp was -12C (10F) and that's not counting the windchill, which dropped it down to about -19 (-2F).

Thank God for the sidewalk plow!!
   My biggest fear was having to run through drifts but I found that the sidewalk plow had been through just before I headed out so bonus! Actually, by the time I got down to the first side street the sidewalk plow was sitting right there so I gave him the thumbs up and he honked his little plow horn at me!
   When I set out, I had no really preconceived notion as to how far I was going to run or even which route I would follow. For lack of an actual plan, I set out on the 5K route I normally run but when it headed me directly into the wind, I changed plans and turned around.
   This was fine but I eventually found myself running where there were either no sidewalks or where the plow had not quite reached yet. This had me doing some pretty fancy footwork! At some point, I started to feel a strain on the outside of my right knee so I walked for a minute til it went away. I attributed this to all of the dipsy-doodle running I'd had to do to get through the unplowed sections.

My tracks, in one of the unplowed stretches.
   At one point I found myself running for a stretch along Commissioners Road, a pretty busy main street, and the road plow had been through and forced all the snow off the road and onto the sidewalk! I couldn't even really see where the road and sidewalk differentiated from each other and all I could think of were runners who'd lost their lives to traffic this past week and I simply went a different way.
   I had planned on doing a long run today but with the weather the way it was I decided to maybe wait til  Monday instead and hope for a little less wind, snow and cold (yeah, right...) As it was, I got in a 5K run and that was actually more than I figured I'd be able to do when I set out. So that was fine. Spring, you can't come soon enough!
   For your viewing pleasure, I have included a totally random pic of a pink Beemer I saw on Friday. Note the red and pink brakes!

Random pic of a pink Beemer, with
red and pink brakes!
   Thanks for reading! Happy and healthy (and warm) running to you all!
  
   


8 comments:

  1. Sometimes a little one is still awwesome! This snow has been so fierce! Ways to train #likeaboss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina, I was happy enough with the run, just a little annoyed cuz I'd planned a "long" one.

      Delete
  2. Ha ha that's the joy of being a Canadian runner in the winter - you never know what to expect. So you have to be prepared for everything! Glad you made it out today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Crystal! I'm trying to perfect a method of running where the wind is ALWAYS at your back...

      Delete
  3. Someone plows your sidewalks? Lucky dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS kinda cool, Celia! Although they also tend to tear up your yard in the process...

      Delete
  4. Hardcore! Winter is always an adventure that's for sure. I literally cannot wait for spring right now :)

    ReplyDelete