Sunday, July 17, 2016

Trail running in Komoka Provincial Park (oh...and Ron, too)

  From where I live in west London, Komoka Provincial Park is about a five minute drive and I have been eyeing it for ages as a place to do some trail running. My wife and I made an exploratory trip there last year and it seemed as though it would be good for running. We also got lost but that's another story....
   I spent some time yesterday looking at the trails on Milermeter, trying to figure out mileages and which one of the many trails to try out first and today I headed there!
   The recent heatwave has died down somewhat and things have become a little more seasonable in these parts so I was anticipating a nice little run.
   The first part of the run, the trail was very narrow and, basically, you needed to beat the bushes back with your shoulders as you ran. Farther into the forest, though, things got a little wider and it was easier to run. 
   I'm not a particularly experienced trail runner but I would describe the trails as reasonable technical, this due to root systems and rocky inclines, as much as anything else. There are a handful of boggy areas which have boardwalk spanning them and some of the boardwalk is awesome and other stretches of boardwalk are a bit of an adventure in themselves---the occasional rotted board along with sections that spring you upward.
   The scenery was awesome. The part of the trail I was on more or less follows a cliff above the Thames River and occasionally there would be an opening in the forest and you'd find yourself looking down at a beautiful river scene. In between there was simply beautiful forest to look at!
   Due to it being Sunday, the trails were quite busy. Families and couples and their dogs. I had a route set out which took me from one end of the park to the other and then back again along the same trail. Many people appeared to be doing the same thing but in the opposite direction. This meant I'd run into them one way and then about 45 minutes later I'd run into them again, going different directions. Everyone was quite pleasant and lots of banter along the way.
   The parking lot at the other end of the park was about 3 kilometers from where I started and at that point I turned around and headed back.
   Very shortly after I did this, I ran into a gentleman with an English accent who was out hiking today. We stopped and talked briefly about how tricky the trail could be at times and he went on to tell me that he'd been going to the park on a regular basis for about 20 years now, was actually a member of the London Hiking Club and was also responsible for helping to set up many of the trails throughout the park! When I found out how much he walked, I remarked on the good shape he was obviously in. At that point, he asked me if I had any idea how old he was and then he went on to tell me he was actually 87! I would have guessed maybe 67 at the most but there's a pic of him a little later on. He then went on to tell me a little of his life story and at that point I knew I wanted to include him in this blog post so I asked if I could take a pic. He was a little astounded that I would want to do this but was happy to oblige, regardless. I asked if he was on the internet at all and he replied in the negative so no real opportunity to to direct him to this blog. As we parted ways, we introduced each other and I found out his name was Ron. Maybe I'll print a copy of this post and take it with me the next time...
   I then eventually made my way back to where my car was. Somehow or other in the process I ended up returning on a different trail than the one I'd set out on. Not quite sure how that happened, will need to investigate further. 
   The following is basically a photo dump of my day in Komoka Provincial Park. You really could have stopped every 50 yards or so and taken a totally different and just as beautiful a pic




Pretty swampy here, basically up to your ankles




Pretty sure this was horse poop but I thought
of it as bear poop, made the run more interesting




Seemed like there was another trail on the
other side, if you wanted to walk across that log...


Every once in a while, you popped out into a meadow!






One of the more reliable boardwalk sections.


Made it all the way to the other side, and then I....


...ran into Ron, the 87-year-old Englishman!






The Thames River, peeking through!




And back to my car!

No comments:

Post a Comment