Thursday, April 6, 2017

And Then My Knee Went BANG!

   Since last September, I have been exclusively running trails. Prior to that, almost all of my running took place on the sidewalks and streets of my neighbourhood, here in London.
   I took to trail-running because it felt much less performance-based to me. My only goal out on the trail was to explore, see some scenery and run with ease. As I did this, it felt as though it was becoming easier and easier and that I was able to progressively run harder. I then began to wonder what difference this might have made in my ability to run a 5K on pavement.
   With all this in mind, last night I headed out for a 5K run. I realized very quickly that I was very much heel-striking as I ran. On the trails, for whatever reason, I find that I am very much more prone to heel-striking whereas on pavement a midfoot strike seems easier. When I realized that I was heel-striking, I attempted to switch over to midfoot running.
   Well, I took about three more strides and then I heard a bang. After the quarter of a second it took for me to wonder what the bang was, the pain in my knee hit. I stopped dead in my tracks and then took another couple of very tentative steps before I knew that my running for the evening was done. 
There's that sucker---up near the top.

   I hobbled home (thank goodness I had only made it about four houses away), made it up the front steps and over to the couch. Out came the ice and the Ibuprofen. I then spent the rest of the evening taking it easy, as well as trying to assess how bad the damage was.
   Straining a knee is nothing new to me, a long history of sports has given me ample opportunity to enjoy the experience. What was new, however, was the bang sound! 
   Right off the bat, I was consulting Dr. Google. He, of course, was not encouraging. The only thing that didn't send me into a total panic (okay, I never do that anyways) was the fact that I could quite easily bear weight. I resolved to wait until morning and see how I felt.
   This morning, the knee didn't feel all that good and I knew right away that I'd be seeking medical attention. Fortunately, it was my late work morning and I was able to find coverage so that I could get the day off. Then, fortunately again, I was able to get in to see my family doctor.
   One of the nice things about my family doctor is that he is a young guy with a sports background. Before becoming a family doctor, he ran a physio clinic and was also a massage therapist so I was quite happy to get his opinion. After hearing my story and doing a physical exam, he diagnosed me with a gastrocnemius muscle pull or strain. We agreed that this was better than what it could have been. He also gave me a referral for physiotherapy and if, with their expertise, they think it might be something else then I have effectively gotten a second opinion. On top of everything else, he also suggested that when I get back to running I should perhaps concentrate a little more on dynamic stretching. My pre-run routine, principally done in response to a debilitating PF adventure I had back when I started running, currently involves almost solely static stretching. My plan will be to try and combine that two.
   In the meantime....no running! This, of course, sucks and I know what a funk it can throw other runners into. I tend to try and remember people I know who can't even walk and would be ecstatic to be limping around with me, if it were at all possible, before I get really too down about it. I also know that the recovery time will go by quickly and by the time I'm ready to hit the trails again, everything will be warm and leafy and green. Can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry! Do your pt and heal. Maybe you can walk the trails after a bit?

    ReplyDelete