Sunday, March 2, 2014

Maps and Graphs and Charts, Oh My!!

   I hate numbers. I've always hated numbers, in pretty well every shape and form. I was never good at math in school and I don't even like playing cards. You can ask my bank manager, my real estate agent and my life insurance guy and they will all confirm the fact that I hate numbers!
   Something organic goes on in my head when I see a whole bunch of numbers (or should that be a bunch of whole numbers?) that I am supposed to digest. My vision seems to get a touch foggier and I kind of feel like I go somewhere else, whatever that means. It's almost as if I've walked in on something I wasn't supposed to see so I slowly back out through the door I just came in.
   Here's part of the problem with this.
   I read a lot of running blogs. I read them mainly to hear other peoples' stories about their running trials and tribulations, the feeling they get from it, the pain mixed with the joy. For the most part, much of what I read often mirrors my own experience with running. I guess it might be the sharing which goes on. What a few running bloggers like to share, though, are their numbers.
A chart of how other activities interact with my running
   As much as running can be a very subjective kind of thing, it also is something which has aspects to it which can be easily measured and kept track of. And then shown to the world. In chart form.
   Because many of us are now wired up when we run, charts come spewing forth from this, pretty effortlessly. Many are charts with splits on them--runs divided up into sections with their different times attached. This can sometimes mean many sections with many times, many of which are only minutely different from the other (see what I did there?) You see people's weekly, daily and monthly training plans (quite often with words and phrases I'm unfamiliar with---WOD?, burpees?), VO2 max charts, heel-to-toe drop charts, shoe weight measurement charts, This means many numbers. This means one whole section of a person's blog I skip.
   In fact, if I'm reading someone's blog post and I come across a chart, I stop dead in my tracks. Kind of like what I do if I'm walking through a grassy meadow and I spot a snake. When I realize there's a graph, I sometimes quickly scroll down the post to see if there are more. If there's only one chart with numbers on it, I'll read the post. If, however, there are a bunch of charts and numbers...well, I might just skip that post entirely, sad to say.
   I'm not even really fond of maps, for some reason. Unless you're a running blogger from London, any map you post is pretty well going to be lost on me, sadly. 
   I want to quickly mention that this is only my personal issue. I take no umbrage with people who find charts and graphs and maps useful and informative, they can be a way of concretely demonstrating how much you might be improving as a runner. I'm just clearly allergic to them, if there were an epi-pen for  allergic reactions to numbers, I would carry it with me.
   Numbers are everywhere in running. Even the shoes have numbers! A quick check on the internet found "adidas adiZero Hagio 2.0" and "New Balance 890v3" and "Saucony Type A5". My head was spinning so fast I had to close that window and go look for pics of cute kitty cats!
   Having said all this, PLEASE don't stop posting all your maps and charts and graphs! I'm sure I'm part of a very small minority when it comes to these sorts of things and I'm also quite sure there are readers out there who devour them voraciously, so why change?



8 comments:

  1. I have the same issue, and you described it perfectly. When I see numbers, I just. . . go somewhere else in my mind. I skip over the charts most of the time. Sometimes I like to see splits from a half or full marathon if the runner's pace is close to mine. Also, I see what you did there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Thank you for seeing what I did there, Stephani! I always take a look at the SAT questions you post and, if it's an English one, I ace it. If it's math----forget about it!

      Delete
  2. Some charts I am fine with, but have a hard time when there is a bunch of numerous information in charts and such in one post that I get lost and start looking for other stuff to read or look at on the post. Not everyone can understand the all different run/swim/bike tracking programs out there and the way they display their data. I think that is my main problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Heidi! Sometimes I wonder if it's one of those "left brain/right brain" things...

      Delete
  3. I'm the same way. My eyes glaze over. I'm not that competitive of a runner to care about my VO2 max or to read about somebody's elses. I like reading about paces/race times but that is about it. Good post. You're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of enjoy hearing about PBs and runners aiming for certain times and then finding out whether they reached those times or not, that's about it for me! Thanks, Crystal!

      Delete
  4. Ha ha, this post is awesome. I’m familiar with my own numbers (heck, I’m an engineer by trade, it’s in my blood) but I kind of glaze over when I see other peoples’ numbers! I did however, like your chart. Does that say farting? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. FARTING?? That's FARTLEKS!! (no, who am I kidding, it's "farting"...lol) Thanks, Nikki, glad you enjoyed it. The chart was very much right off the top of my head, not a lot of thought there!

    ReplyDelete