Monday, May 22, 2017

This Week-The Waters Recede

    I decided to bite the bullet yesterday and drive to Komoka Provincial Park, pay the parking fee, and go for a quick hike.
   A couple of weeks ago, I actually walked all the way there and back (no parking fee!) but was exhausted at the end. My bum right knee was also a little the worse for wear and basically, I overdid it. Last weekend, I walked through Warbler Woods and Kains Woods as they are much closer and, afterwards, I wasn't suffering quite as badly.
   In fact, I almost decided to try running just a little bit yesterday but then common sense overtook me (this rarely happens, ask my wife) and I ended up opting for another hiking session. So off to Komoka I went!
   It was a beautiful day for a hike and the parking lot off of Gideon Drive was already pretty busy when I got there. The lot is situated somewhat in the middle of the park and I decided to head east and walk to one end and then simply turn around and walk all the way to the other end and then I would be done.
   The woods yesterday were even more green than two weeks ago and this is increasingly a welcome sight. What's even better is that the trails have almost totally dried out, except for three or four spots. Much more pleasurable!
   Much of the trail follows along the Thames River, sometimes high above it and sometimes right along beside it. Two weeks ago when I was here, London and all of eastern Canada had just been suffering through many days of constant rain and flooding. I took a couple of pics back then and promised I'd take the same pics the next time I was there and that's what I was able to do yesterday. Here they are, two weeks ago on the left and yesterday on the right!
The same stream, flowing
through all the water plants
This is a small stream entering the
Thames, which you can almost see,
off in the distance. The river was so
swollen, it flowed back up the stream!
It looked like an island, off in the distance
but the river had simply overflowed its
banks, making the little jut-out look
like an island


 
Really no island there at all!
  Once again, I had my trekking poles with me and I'm starting to realize how much of a difference they really make. It's so much easier doing the uphills with them---not only do I get the extra push but they also help, balance-wise. Now, Komoka Provincial Park does not for the most part get terribly technical and the vast majority of people you see there are just casual hikers enjoying the scenery but it is quite easy to see how much of a difference the poles would make if you were negotiating mountains!

   Apart from the poles, I had also taken along my CamelBak, minus the bladder, and just carried a water bottle in it. So I've got my poles and I've got the vest and the hiking boots and I'm walking along and then I meet this young family with their dog and three little kids, coming the other way. I stop and stand off the path so they can pass. The dad's in the lead, then the kids, with the mum bringing up the rear. The first two kids just kind of look at me but the third kid ( who I think was probably 5) looks up at me and says, "Are you a skfjdy?" Well, I didn't quite understand the "skfjdy" part so I said, "I'm sorry, what was that?". The boy replied, "Are you a skfjdy?" I looked at the mom and told her I hadn't caught any of that and she smiled and said, "It's okay, I don't think he's ever seen a real hiker before." I laughed and told her I didn't think I was a real hiker and then we all went on our way. Maybe I should try and look like a real runner one of these days!
   Not only was the forest full of people but the river was too. Lots of canoeists and kayakers. Two weeks ago, the river had been so high and fast that people were being warned away from it but now that it was its more benign self, people were able to get out and enjoy it. Such a huge resource!
   Okay, the next time I hit the trails I think I need to be running them. As much as I've enjoyed all the walking I've been doing the past few weeks, I still really miss the moving at a high (or at least slightly higher) clip. The knee's been feeling stronger and I haven't had it give out on me in quite awhile so maybe I'm good for a little light running. Time to get some fresh dirt on the new trail shoes!
    
  

   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment