Sunday, August 12, 2018

Hiking The Avon Trail: Hike Seven

   Woo hoo! A hundred and thirteen kilometers later and the Avon Trail is DONE!
   Yesterday I managed to complete the remaining 21K I still had to hike to be able to say I had walked the trail end-to-end. Our day started very early as we needed to get my stepson, Keenan, out by the 401 Highway for 4:30 a.m. We had decided the previous night that we could probably get out to the Conestogo area faster taking the highway than by zig-zagging the country sideroads so, as long as we were already at the highway, why not get an early start to the hiking day!  Our plan was to drive both cars to the end point, leave mine there, and than have Doralyn drive me to the start. We managed to accomplish all this and have me walking the roadways by about 6:45 in the morning!
   It was a beautiful morning, crisp and clear, and the walking was good. Out of this final 21K section, only about 6K of it is actually on wooded trails or in fields so a lot of highway walking to be done and the first part of yesterday was along roadways.
   Eventually, though, I made it into some farmers' fields and this was where the going got a little tricky. Basically, I found myself traversing parts of the trail where it didn't appear as though anyone had passed through recently and the grass was now waist-high and, because of my early start, also soaking wet. This quickly led to hiking boots full of water and the inevitable slish-slosh as you walked. At times I found myself trying to balance on very uneven ground, while rubbing shoulders with corn on one side and a barbed wire fence on the other. Rough hiking!
  After this, though, the rest of the day involved country roads and forest so the hiking was much more enjoyable. For a change, as well, the mosquitoes were not not out in the abundance I have been used to. The slish-slosh eventually faded and I finally found myself arriving at Conestogo. Just a short walk through this pretty town and I was back at my car. Hooray!
   Just a word about my amazing wife! Much of the Avon Trail experience involved Doralyn giving up a good chunk of her own time so that I was able to cover larger portions of the trail. She was always happy to do this for me and this is just one of the many reasons why I love her so much! Basically, she ROCKS!
   And now, here is the inevitable photo dump, just to prove that I walked the walk!

Ran into this gentleman, guarding the trail. My
favourite part of the day!
How the day started. Just after sunrise on Wilmot
and the hot air balloons are wafting...
Sun in my eyes on Conservation
A sign indicating a seasonal re-route. This avoids having
hikers pass through the sugarbush during sap collection
season. Yesterday, I got to hike through the bush.
And sometimes the re-route is not a "seasonal" one!
Leaving the sugarbush and arriving at Benjamin.
Another re-route (and I'm glad they did this!) I had
scoped this part of the trail via satellite image
and it seemed as though we were old friends
by the time I got there!
Very pretty but also very wet and tricky!
LOVE passing by pastures of grazing cows!
The trail takes you right up this farmer's laneway and
right through the middle of his farm. It's a little surreal
and also the most visual reminder that much
of the trail runs through private property and it is
only by the grace of landowners that the trail even exists!
Thanks, Farmers!
Just a short jaunt and you arrive at St. Jacobs. A pretty
amazing place and hugely busy on a Saturday.
Believe me, if you're wearing full hiking gear walking
through all this, you kinda stand out!
The beginning of what becomes a very nicely-groomed trail
which runs alongside a very busy roadway. There was
a gentleman with a small tractor on it, grading and
cutting grass. We took turns catching up to each
other and I thanked him for all his efforts.
The trail eventually takes you to a wonderfully-placed
little bench right near the Conestogo River. Stopped
there for a bite to eat and to rest some weary legs!
Just in case you weren't sure which way to go!
Under the bridge over the Conestogo River.
The remnants of a treated Giant Hogweed plant. This
is an extremely noxious plant that can cause severe
burns to humans. Many thanks to the trail workers
who go out of their way to keep us all safe!
Walking along the Conestogo. A very pleasant
portion of yesterday's hike.
Taken from a little foot bridge.
Made it all the way to RIM Park, where the
Blackberry people are.
One-car bridge leading into the village of Conestogo.
View of the Grand River, from that same bridge.
And I made it to the end!
My "tired but happy" face!

   

   
   

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You hiked 21k in one day! Dang, that is a lot! What I find really interesting is how you are able to figure out trails when it seems they aren't so clearly marked. If I found that one of my choices might be wading through tall grass. . . I might decide that there was no trail there. You obviously know how to read maps, which is a skill I don't necessarily have. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephani! I suspect my map-reading skills are likely no better than yours! Many times over the 113 K I found myself totally at odds with what the map appeared to be telling me, especially in between sideroads. You really kind of depended on the white trail markers, some of which were VERY old, some of which were covered by underbrush and, occasionally, some of which were non-existent lol. Pretty sure once or twice I found my way by accident!

      Delete