Saturday, April 13, 2013

Gonna Give It A Go

   At some point this week, I need to get out and run 5K. I need to do this because I need to know if I can run 5K, at this point.
   The last time I ran this distance was way back on Feb. 25, pretty close to two months ago. It was at this time that I came down with the p-fash and, hence, started scaling back the runs. Lately, the runs have almost stopped altogether, for a variety of reasons.
   The principal reason why I need to know whether I can or not is that I have a 5K trail run coming up in a week. Doralyn and I are entered in the Uxbridge Half Marathon (in the 5K run/walk division--she's walking and I'm running). Prior to the p-fash, the training was coming along quite well, I was running a hillier route and the times were slowly dropping. The the p-fash reared its ugly head, I cut way back and now I have no real idea where I am in turns of stamina or speed.
   Originally, my aim was to place really well in my age division. This doesn't seem too likely anymore. I have no fear whatsoever about finishing the race but it would be kind of nice to have an idea whether or not it will be during daylight hours or not! At this point, what I would really like to be able to do is complete the race without needing to stop and walk.
   My plan for today is to go out and run about as slow as I possibly can and see if I can run the whole 5K. Then, my plan will be to see if I can walk when I crawl out of bed tomorrow morning! This would give about a whole week to recover so that I can do it all over again on race day next weekend. If nothing else, it will give me a realistic set of expectations with which to work.
   In the meantime, happy and healthy running to you all!

1 comment: