Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Goals

   Now that I've completed this past weekend's race and currently have no races on the horizon, it feels like time to sit down and do a little self-evaluation.
   With this race fast approaching, I had more or less (and probably stupidly) given up on the cross-training I had been doing in order to concentrate on the running. Now, perhaps, I can get back to a combination of the two. Apart from that, though, right at the moment I really have no idea what I'm doing with this running thing.
   I wasn't particularly happy with my results in the race but I was pretty bang on with what my expectations were. The time I ran, 35:33, was pretty well what I'd been doing in training and this had me placing 144th out of 180 runners. I can rationalize this in a whole lot of ways (relatively new runner, in his sixties, lost a couple of training months due to injury, etc.) but it still doesn't sit too well.
   Part of the problem is I don't know what a realistic goal is right at the moment. I don't know whether to stick with 5k races or maybe start thinking about longer distances. I guess I'd be happy enough to be down in the twenties with my times on the 5k, rather than the mid-thirties, for starters.
   Sunday's race seemed like the most "professional" I've been in to-date although I've been in races that had more swag, better food and better-run prize announcing. The runners seemed more well-seasoned, for one thing, and it was a bit of an eye-opener for me to just be there, watching them. I guess the other part was that it was one in a series of races, with overall points being kept and prize money being offered. It was also my first experience with race photography. All-in-all, I want to look (and run) like one of the good runners.
   To this end, I train. And train. And then train a little more. And watch what I eat (while I drool over what I'm not eating). More than anything, I suppose I need to remember where I am on my life's journey.
   My Dad passed away last year at the age of 85. He was only in ill health for the last month of his life and prior to that he was one of the healthiest 85 year olds you'd want to run into. I don't work on Mondays (or very hard the other days of the week) and our Monday morning routine consisted of getting together with my Dad and playing nine holes of golf. We did this every Monday morning for about 8 or 9 years. At his ripe old age, my Dad was mystified by why he couldn't hit the ball as far as he could when he was in his thirties. I always explained to him about the aging process but he would have nothing of it. He was an old man who, simply, still felt like a young one.
   I am a bit of the same way. Honestly, I don't feel any different in my sixties than I did in my twenties. Common sense tells me otherwise, obviously, but this is why I sometimes have a hard time setting realistic goals. I see all those half marathon runners coming down the homestretch, still maintaining good form and not appearing as though they were even terribly exhausted. I think this could be me someday...
   In the meantime, here are:

What I'm looking forward to doing!
A Handful Of Race Day Observations

1. I didn't leave it all on the course. I know I had reserves I didn't even bother tapping. Shame, Brian!

2. There are photographers. Pretend you're not tired, especially the closer you get to the finish line...

3. If you're two feet away from another running blogger, say hi!

4. Check (no, double-check) your orthotics. There should be two.

5. Take a selfie, for goodness' sake! Do it yourself or there's lots of other people there who would be more than happy to oblige.

   Well, there you have it, another batch of running ruminations. I've had a couple of recovery days, I'm feeling good and itching to get out again and just run.
   It will be kind of cool simply to be running for the fun of it!

   Okay, I thought I was done with this post but, suddenly, I have decided to set some kind of goal.
   I will:

   1. Be running 10k once a week by the end of 2013
   2. Sign up for both a 10k and a half marathon in 2014.

   Now I've done it.....

   And in the meantime, happy and healthy running to you all!

  

2 comments:

  1. Great goals! And I love your summary of race-day learnings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I change my goals nearly every day and sometimes several times a day! Planning to run a 10k is a great goal. I bet it will motivate you even more to run! Enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete