Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Hills

   As you may know (likely because I have been talking about it incessantly), I have been slowly working my way back to being able to run 5k without stopping and with a minimum of recovery time.
   I have been doing this simply by slight increases of run segments as I have been out run/walking a 5k distance. Currently, I'm at 4 1/2 k running, with a brief half k stroll part way through.
   The 5k route I've been using takes me through Warbler Woods for about two kilometers. As I've been whittling down the walking segments and increasing the run segments, I've managed to avoid a couple of real nasty hills along the way. I've done this for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I didn't want to put any extra strain on my heel by running it up a hill. Secondly, well....who really likes hills anyway?
   
At least the footing is good! Lots of passers-by, for when you collapse.
The first hill I'd been avoiding occurs slightly over half a kilometer into the run, just prior to entering the woods. It's on a street called Byron Baseline and the hill stretch is just over 300 meters with a 17 meter (55 feet) elevation gain. It's not technically part of but is adjacent to what's been known in Byron for years as McNiece's Hill. This is the local tobogganing hill and is known for its terrifying drop. The hill I run up shares the same topography.

   The other hill I've been avoiding rears its ugly head in the forest. It's not as long as the first hill but is much steeper. I have been winded just walking up it.
   A few days ago, I conquered the first hill. Just took it nice and slow and steady, trying to concentrate on just the few feet in front of me. When I got to the top, I was actually able to continue running on into the forest! I've now run the hill two or three times.
   At this point, though, to reach my 5k goal, I'm going to have
Bottom of the hill. Curves to the left...
to run up the hill in the woods. I'm having a hard time imagining being able to do this without collapsing at the top. I managed to avoid it today when I went out but in two days time I've got to take it on. And so I shall.


...and then back to the right, near the top.
   In the meantime, happy and healthy running to you all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment