Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Hill Conquered

   Today was supposed to be an "off" day...no running. It was, however, a magnificent day, the heel felt good, the legs felt good and I could think of absolutely no reason not to run, apart from my own self-imposed guidelines.
   So I ran.
   I ended up running a full 5k without stopping for the first time since February 25. I took on the dreaded Hill In The Forest and conquered it. Just barely. I'd been avoiding it in my heel rehab routine but the time had come when I was able to avoid it no longer
   I ran up it very gingerly, not because of any discomfort but mainly because I needed to have a little left in the tank when I got to the top. I'm guessing that I've probably walked up the hill all those other times faster than I ran up it today. Once at the top, I didn't collapse, as I'd been envisioning. Thank God, the rest of the run was essentially downhill.
   Pulling into my driveway, the endpoint of the run, was...well...I'd love to say exhilarating but I was way too tired for that. Satisfying was perhaps the word that was more appropriate. There have been points in the last few months when I've very slowly started to feel better but they have only come after relatively short runs. Assuming I can walk tomorrow (never a given, really), it will mean that I am back to where I was when the p-fash hit. 
   Or pretty close.   

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your improvements. I got back int running the beginning of January and I had to walk the hills...I often said I was running but with a pace of 19:00 or so most would say it was a walk. Anyways thanks for stopping by today and l look forward to learning more about your running journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Caroline! lol I also, lately, have been walking almost as fast as I've been running, while re-habbing. An elderly woman walked past me the other day while I was lacing up my running shoes and it took me FOREVER to catch up to her lol! Really need to thank you again for starting up Running Bloggers, it has been an amazing experience and there have been just so many wonderful stories out there! THANKS!

      Delete
    2. My pleasure! We are lucky to have you!

      Delete