Sunday, June 16, 2013

LSD Is Not For Me, Thank You!

   So...YAY!...I am finally back to being able to run 5k without stopping. This has been my goal for what seems like months now (because it has been months, having taken the time to accurately reflect) and now that I've done this maybe I should try and run a little quicker, don't ya think?
   Yes, my only goal lately has been to complete a 5K run. I didn't need to go fast, I only needed to go
   I've consistently been doing the same 5k route through Warbler Woods and, when I began, I walked it. The first time, the whole thing took me about 48 minutes and I was walking fast. I then started to throw in 1/2 k run sections. What I noticed, mostly to my horror, was that my fast walking was almost as fast as my slow running! Three cheers for my fast walking, I guess, but I didn't like the idea of running that slow. As I have flitted about on other peoples' running blogs, I've come across them referring to LSD runs. Unfortunately, these are  not as psychedelic as they sound. LSD stands for Long Slow Distance and describes running for a longer distance at a pace which might be substantially slower than your normal or race pace. Me, I do SSD's. Short Slow Distance.
   The day before yesterday, confident that I can now run the whole thing, I decided to try and go just a little faster. I took on The Hill In The Forest not quite so gingerly as I described in my last post, I tried to lengthen my stride a little, and basically let loose a little more on the downhill sections. All of this took basically about three minutes off my previous time. YAY again. Oh, and it almost killed me, but I'm hoping this was a good thing...


Kind of a LSD yellow....
   In going back over my workout log, I've noticed that I'm actually fairly close to where I was, speed-wise, prior to the fasciitis hitting. I was doing 5k in about 35 minutes (sucks, I know) and now I'm doing it in about 38. One of the differences now though is that I'm doing the trail run exclusively, mainly because I'm enjoying it. It does slow you down, though. One of these days, I'm going to get back out onto pavement and see where I'm at.
   Prior to the p-fash, my 5k times on pavement were going steadily down and, eventually, I would love them to be in the twenties, rather than the thirties. In my age range, 60-65, that would be a little more respectable.
   So, right at the moment, the running life is fine. It ain't fast, but it's fine. And in the meantime, happy and healthy running to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment