Monday, November 25, 2013

Winter Arrives

My Honda's under there...somewhere.
   There are a handful of Canadian running bloggers I follow on a regular basis and they, already, have had to come to grips with winter in Canada. Yesterday, it was my turn.
   My part of London got dumped on overnight Saturday, to the tune of about 70 centimeters (slightly over 2 feet), even though the east end of the city only officially got about 11 centimetres. Looking at the weather radar first thing Saturday morning was interesting--one narrow lake effect blizzard knifing in off Lake Huron and, basically, just hitting my part of London. We're so lucky. Glad the boys were with us this weekend or I'd still be shovelling!
   Of course, I knew winter was coming. I didn't expect it all at once but that's beside the point. Funny thing is, as I was shovelling yesterday I couldn't help but think to myself cool, I get to run in the snow again. 

Patio furniture--that's the table on the right.
   Last winter, my first as a runner, was filled with many memorable cold-weather runs and I survived them all. This year, I see no reason not to continue enjoying them. At the same time, I also now have access to a treadmill, courtesy of the local Goodlife Fitness centre. Nice to have an option! The only thing is, you don't hear about too many runners who are in love with their treadmills, so I think this might be a last resort more than anything else.
   Last year, I also promised myself some running tights for when the weather got like this. I had been running in old baggy sweatpants and that just wasn't cutting it at the time. Well, it looks like another month or so of baggy sweatpants as I can't really see footing the expense for tights this close to Christmas (did I mention I was poor? yes, in a much earlier post), I try not to let my running break the house budget too much. Hmmm....they would make an awesome present, though....
   So I look forward to hearing all your winter wonderland running tales! Hopefully I won't hear about too much actual frostbite or nasty falls! And, at the same time, I will also enjoy all the pics from places like Florida, California, Texas (apart from the occasional arctic blast they seem to get there) and Africa. Maybe someday I'll be off somewhere warm this time of year........
  

No comments:

Post a Comment