Sunday, April 20, 2014

I Am Misaligned (Maybe)

   I am misaligned. And I'm not talking liberal vs. conservative or half-empty vs. half-full or male vs. female or anything like that. No, I think my right hip is way out of whack.
I have this...
   I have occasionally had hip problems in the past but more on my left side. I'd get out of bed in the morning and be greeted by a jolt of pain on the outside of my hip. In the 
 
beginning, it was a reasonably minor type of pain that would fairly quickly disappear after walking around for a bit.
   Eventually, though, it started taking longer and longer to disappear and also became quite a bit more intense. My wife at the time urged me to go see her chiropractor. Those days, though, I was pretty leery of chiropractors so this visit never occurred.
...which could be this...
   Along came my second wife and I was still suffering these bouts of hip pain. What was different was that it had become almost impossible to propel myself forward anymore. I had been given a cane as a joke present a few years earlier for my fiftieth birthday and I now had resorted to actually using it!
   My second wife also had a chiropractor she recommended and at this point I was pretty desperate so we made an appointment.
   I then ended up having my first meeting with Dr. Zeinin Haji. Zeinin is a wonderful woman who runs a chiropractic and holistic wellness clinic here in London. She took some time to explain the concept behind chiropractic and then did an assessment on me.
   She discovered I was way out of whack.
   I then found myself being poked and prodded and stretched and manipulated and jumped on! (Zeinin is a pretty tiny woman and I swear she actually leaves her feet to get some of the adjustments done)
   At the end of all that, I was given advice on stretching, how to walk and sit properly and even how to carry my wallet! My wallet is about six inches thick and I carry it in my back left hip pocket. I spend a fair amount of time driving through work and never even thought about what it might be doing to my body to constantly have this large, leather wad pressing into my left butt cheek. She simply suggested I carry it in my front pocket when driving. Pretty easy fix!
   We then arranged to have me come back two or three times a week for a prescribed period, until my body had had the time it needed to respond to the treatment she was giving it.
   In fairly short order, the hip pain was gone. Now I'm at the point where if I start feeling any little twinges down there I simply go in for an adjustment and I'm right as rain again.
...or it might be this!
   These days, however, the pain is in my other hip. It is also more around to the front and deeper (whatever that means). It seems to pop up periodically when I am engaged in normal, everyday activity. I might step off a curb or get out of my car or be walking up steps when it hits. It feels as though it might be related to slight pivoting movements coupled with shifts in weight-bearing. It also feels as though my groin might be involved.
   Similarly to the left hip, the more I move around, the better it feels. Lately, I've had twinges at the very beginning of runs but after a block or two the pain disappears and I'm able to run normally. Yesterday, this did not happen.
   In an attempt to keep my #RunToCanadaDay streak alive, I headed out for what I thought was likely just a 2K run. I began to run, experiencing the same kind of pain but only more intense than usual. I then decided to walk the 2K but I was unable to even do that. At that point, the streak ended. It was still fairly early in the day and I thought that if it straightened itself out a touch I  might be able to give it a shot later on. This never happened.
   So. I think it's off to see Zeinin again. I am hoping against hope that this pain is also the result of misalignment and can be eradicated with some adjustments. I suppose it could also be just a pulled groin muscle and because I've been attempting to maintain a running streak, it's just never had the opportunity to heal itself. Or, at my age, I suppose I could possibly be looking at some kind of arthritic entanglement and this could just mean a trip to the family doctor.
Whatever it is, hopefully Dr. Zeinin Haji
will be able to fix it!

   What I do know is that I've had this before and it has gone away on its own, with a little rest. My plan is to give it some, have a visit with my chiro, and go from there.
   In the meantime, happy and healthy running to you all! 
  

8 comments:

  1. Uh oh. I'm so sorry you are in pain. I hope your chiropractor can help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, Stephani! It was about time to see her anyway, I've generally been feeling a touch misaligned lately, anyway.

      Delete
  2. Ugh is right. I hope you figure out what's wrong and it's not too serious. I am a little scared about going to chiropractors (I know that probably sounds a little crazy).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My stepmum (bless her departed soul) used to warn me away from chiropractors and was always telling me about people who ended up paralyzed and all that. The fact of the matter is that I would guess that they treat a much higher volume of patients with a much lower percentage of drastic results. It's really not that scary and I was amazed at how much it helped!

      Delete
  3. I can totally relate to this issue! i get so tight in my hips i get misaligned...it isn't pretty! A good massage helps too. I must remember to STRETCH!!!! always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do a fair amount of stretching, Tina, but pay very little attention to the groin/hip area. From here on in, I WILL!

      Delete
  4. Ack, pain is the worst, I hope you get fixed right up! I find that when my mileage increases, I have to really focus on recovery. I'm terrible about stretching these days. When I had shin splints, I was much better about it since I had a constant painful reminder to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suzan, I became much more faithful about stretching with the constant pain of PF as a re-inforcer! So I pay a lot of attention to my calves and heels but little stretching done in the groin area. Gotta do better, I guess!

    ReplyDelete