Sunday, November 10, 2013

Yes, It's That Time

   I went for large chunks of late spring, the summer, and early fall without being able to run on any kind of regular basis. There were a variety of reasons for this and at this point the reasons have been exhausted.
   So you'd think I'd be out every day running my little heart off and jumping for joy at the same time!
   Well, I'm not.
   Don't get me wrong, I love the idea that I'm able to. For what it's worth, though, back when I was running regularly I was also into the routine of it, both logistically and motivationally. I knew ahead of time what days I would be running and I planned the rest of my life around that. Motivationally-speaking, the fact that I was making steady progress also helped greatly to make sure that I was getting out there, maybe even on days when the weather was crappy or I was already tired.

   Nowadays, it's little difficult because I've lost quite a bit of what I'd gained over the winter and there is very much a starting all over again kind of feeling. That's a bit of a mental setback, for sure. It's a little hard having to work your butt off just to get back to where you were before.
   I also miss having stuff to blog about! When you're injured, you can sometimes at least blog about your injury and how it's progressing (or not), how the latest doctor appointment went, what the newest therapy tool is, etc. When there is no longer a viable injury to discuss, no races have been run and no real training regimen to comment on it's just a touch difficult to blog. Sort of like today!
   I have gotten out a couple of times this past week and it was rough. The running has not been terribly easy and I have only been doing 5k runs to this point. I used to be able to run a full 5k without stopping but not now. So that is a goal, for sure, either to run them faster or to run them without stopping. I never seem to be sure when I head out whether I want to simply run the whole way or whether I want to beat the last time I posted. It seems as though I can run hard for spurts, then walk, and get a decent time. If I run slow enough, I can run the whole thing but the time then suffers.
   At this point, I'm inclined to go for the fastest times. At some point this pretty well has to end up with me running the whole way, doesn't it? Gonna be a lot of work but that's okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment