Wednesday, April 16, 2014

My "A-little-too-soon" Trail Run

Generally, this area is dry.
   It was an awesome weekend, weather-wise, here in London, Ontario.
   Once again, the temps were in the mid-teens when I headed out on my run on Sunday.
   I had decided I would try and get a bit of trail work in, which might have been a bit of a mistake. When I say "mistake" I say it only insofar as I knew from recent past experience that the trail through

A little bloodied up in the thigh/ankles area!
Warbler Woods, near where I live, would be very wet. Last spring I had attempted to run this trail and much of my time was spent gingerly tip-toeing around long stretches of slime and muck. Sunday was no different and very soon into my run I knew I had perhaps, indeed, made a mistake.
   Very quickly, I decided I needed to get out of the forest and into the fields which bounded it. I did this but found that there were no real trails to follow and that I would need to make my way through a lot of tall weeds and prickly plants (for the lack of a better word). After the run, my legs were a little the worse for wear---many of the plants I'd tried to tiptoe around had reached out and grabbed me.
This was NOT supposed to be there!
Not right!
   Eventually, I found myself free of the forest and weeds and back out on to pavement. By this time, it was a welcome change and I likely will hold off on the same trail run until things have dried out a little. For goodness' sake, there was still a little snow in there!
   All in all, I ran pretty close to 5K today, although there was a fair amount of time spent trying to find a way through all the wetness. Still, it felt awesome running through the forest on a warm spring day! 

4 comments:

  1. You probably got MORE of a workout doing that! Great run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kris! Yeah, I was sort of thinking the same thing as I was diving from furrow to furrow, trying to avoid and evade nasty bushes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice legs! Ha ha Sounds like it was a fun adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol Thanks, Crystal, I don't usually like to show that much leg but this was a special occasion!

    ReplyDelete