Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Streak Week!

   Woo-hoo, just finished my first week of the #RunToCanadaDay running streak!
   This 90-day running streak is the brainchild of Crystal Rhyno, founder and fearless leader of the Canuck Running Bloggers. The idea is to run at least two kilometers every day between April 1 (surely she must have been fooling) and July 1, Canada Day (Yay, Canada!)
   Last night (and I was cutting it close), I finished off Day 8 with a 2K run. I have very conveniently found a side street which is exactly half a kilometer away so, in a pinch for 2K, I simply run back and forth twice between my house and that street. Over the eight days, I found myself doing that more than I anticipated simply because of time constraints and the fact that I found myself running at the end of the day a lot. Doing it this way keeps me off the roadways after dark and, therefore, is that much safer (which keeps my wife a little happier, too!)
Please don't look at this lame picture of me streaking....
   I have never run eight days straight in my life! I'm not too sure I've ever run more than three days straight, for that matter. This, then, is uncharted territory for me. It has also led to re-defining a "rest" day---I guess a "rest day" is any day I only run 2K.
   A couple of times I've been out running and couldn't immediately figure out why I was tiring so fast. Then, of course, it hits me. You just ran six days straight!
   The majority of those runs have been the 2K variety, simply because of the timing, the weather and just wanting to keep the streak alive. A couple of those times, I really didn't feel like getting out there and running but did anyway. Today, as an example, I'd be fairly content to sit here on my butt but it's also a beautiful day and I'm talking myself into getting out there.
   Part of the problem, though, is that it's hard to imagine running ninety days in a row without encountering some unforeseeable circumstance which might stop the streak, regardless of my desire to keep it going. I just can't fathom being able to run every single day between now and Canada Day. In the face of a seemingly certain failure down the road, why stay motivated to keep the streak alive now.
   Cuz it would be kinda cool, that's why!

4 comments:

  1. Ha ha fearless leader? I am going to find this especially challenging because I have never run every day. At max it's 4 times a week. I love my rest days but I reason our bodies are made to move and I can find 15 mins or less out of my day to move my butt. I am tired already! I think you're right. The key is just to do it with a smile & take one day at a time. Keep up the great work. You should definitely chat with Una. She seems to have it all sorted out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Crystal. I will hunt down Una or check out her blog---noticed that she's on quite the streak!

      Delete
  2. Good for you! I often read about streaks, and they are very tempting, but with my schedule, I realize that a running streak is a no-no. There are just certain days that I MUST dedicate to strength training or yoga, and as a teacher and mom of young kids, I can't do that AND run. When the weather is nice, I want to be out there every morning. I just know that it's not a good idea for me. What I'm hoping for you is that on your recovery days of just 2k, you are also cross training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephani! Getting in the cross-training really IS the challenging part---I always used to save it for my off days from running and now I don't have those! Will just need to be a little more conscientious.....

      Delete