Sunday, July 20, 2014

Another "I'm Back" Post!

   Hi, it's been awhile since I've posted! Generally this means I have nothing to post about but this time around, it's more indicative of not having to have been able to access my own freakin' blog!
   I went to sign in a couple of weeks ago and got this message saying that I did not have permission to access that service and that I needed to contact my domain administrator (whoever that is). Multiple attempts at Googling my problem solved nothing and, to make a longer story shorter, what I eventually found out was that being signed in to my new work gmail account prevented me from signing in to Blogger at the same time. So I signed out of gmail and here I am!
   Okay, regardless of all that, it's not like I had a ton of running stuff to talk about anyway, the training's been extremely sporadic. I do however have a race re-cap!
   On July 11, I ran in the Summer Night 5K here in London. This is part of the London Honda Road Race series and is the fourth in a series of six this running season. The 5K was the only distance offered and there were a lot of people running.
Before the start
   The race was an out and back affair, beginning at the Barking Frog, a bar in downtown London. It was a beautiful evening for a race and the crowd was festive, right from the beginning.
   Doralyn and two of our boys, Callum and Quinlan, accompanied me downtown, saw me off and then did a little window shopping while I was running.
The crowd, milling around,
waiting for the start.
   The first half of the race was a gentle downhill which was kind of nice but meant, at the same time, the end of the race would be a not-so-gentle uphill and it was hard trying to forget that. Once again, I had started at the back of the pack but found that I was slowly passing people. Nevertheless, by the time we had reached the 2K mark we were already being greeted by runners coming back! Hey, no big deal except that they were kind of serious and there weren't too many acknowledging smiles as we were congratulating them!



   One of the runners passing me the other way was an old friend from the early seventies. Said hi to her as we passed but then I eventually ended up catching up to her after I made the turn. We chatted as we ran and then both of us ended up taking a walking break. I had sort of planned on a walking break about there but the chatting part of it kind of prolonged the walking and I actually ended up losing a little time. Nice chatting though!

   Pretty close to the end of the race, I notice another friend from both public and high school who was there volunteering. I called out to her, told her who I was, and kept on running. I had never seen her at any other race and wondered why exactly she was there. At the end of the race, it kind of dawned on me. The race was being run as part of a fundraiser for the Bereaved Families of Ontario and I remember running into this woman a few years ago in a grocery store who, as we were catching up, broke down into tears as she recounted her young son's drowning. Hence her involvement with the race. It was then I wished I'd stopped and had a few words, this will probably bother me for awhile.
Happy man at the finish line! They should hire my wife, she takes the best pics!
   Finally the race was over and I was pretty happy about that. Came in with a time of 37:41 which was right around anything I'd been doing in training. Should I have slowed down to chat? Yeah, sure, why not?!

6 comments:

  1. Great finish line pic! I always look 20 years older after a race :) Sounds like it was a fun experience. I love chatting with other runners during races.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Crystal! Most of my race pics make me look like I've got one running shoe in the grave (not far from the truth) but after a couple of races I clued in to the fact that people might be taking pics, so I try and smile whenever possible. This race was one of the few where I HAVE chatted with anyone, generally WAY too outa breath!

      Delete
  2. You look like you lost some weight, Brian! Great finishing pic, and the race looks like a great cause. Btw, I read your other blog. Who knew that buying a Buddha could be so difficult?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Stephani! If anything I've actually put on about five pounds lately but working on it. And when we finally stopped looking for a Buddha we actually stumbled across one! Likely a post to come, and glad to hear you read both blogs, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well if they don't hire your wife as a photographer then should you just make her your official photographer because that finishing pic is awesome! You make running look like so much fun. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Flower! Glad I tricked you into that "running is so much fun" thing lol! I DO tend to think of Doralyn as my personal photog, the only pics I've ever liked were hers (and she's pretty easy to pick out of a crowd and smile at, too...)

      Delete