Saturday, August 13, 2016

Quick Little Wet Trail Run!

   In between thunder-dunders this afternoon, I took the opportunity to head over to Komoka Provincial Park for a quick little trail run.
   This would be my first opportunity to use the new entrance and pay the new $5.25 fee. I wanted to at least experience this new system but, honestly, the Twitterverse tells me there are places nearby to park for free, if you don't mind a little walk....
If you want to park your car in
the new parking lot at Komoka
Provincial Park, first you take
some of THESE....
...and put them in THIS.
   The new parking lot is a vast improvement over the one I used to use, on Gideon---no giant potholes! And there is a washroom now, to boot.
Freshly-cut (I think) path taking you to...
...very wet trails. Basically, just
follow the river...
   I had kind of been wondering how they would access the trails from this new location but they solved that by taking a giant lawnmower (I imagined) and plowing a path right through what used to be a wide-open field.
...to this, a wet, rocky, and slippery
little downhill. Much easier
on the way back.
Finally, you get to the end of the
trail, at what used to be the old entrance.
From there, just enjoy the scenery!
   At the end of this path you are able to hook up with trails you are familiar with and then take it from there.
   Due to the thunderstorms which had just been through, it was pretty wet in there. This just served to make the footing, especially on the steep and rocky downhills, that much more treacherous. After about a kilometer and a half, I made it to one end of the park and then headed back. My plan was to run past the parking lot where I'd left my car and explore the other end of the park but then the thunder started up again, I really didn't want to get caught out in a thunderstorm in the forest, so I stopped the run short. I did manage to exhaust myself a couple of times so....Good Work, Brian!






And back in the parking lot! Not a good
selfie, but someone was just pulling into
the lot and I didn't want to be standing
there, taking selfies. I'm shy that way!


   

2 comments: