Monday, May 21, 2018

Hiking The Avon Trail: Hike Three

   Yesterday,  I managed to get in my third hike on the Avon Trail, in an attempt to get the end-to-ender done this summer.
   My lovely and angelic wife, Doralyn, agreed to travel with me in an hour-long convoy to a spot on Line 110, just east of Stratford. We then parked my car there and Doralyn drove through the country sideroads til we reached the starting point of the day's journey, where she dropped me off or, as she likes to describe it, "left him somewhere in the woods"!
   My journey started at the 30.7K marker of the trail and would take me on to the 48.8K point, by the time I was done. It was a pretty good day for hiking, cool and not too sunny. I found myself encountering all sorts of different terrain today, as you'll be able to see from the pics! Wherein I walked the walk!


My starting point today at the Ironwood Section//Bimini Loop. It's a little bit of a sidetrail
but is also part off the Main Trail and so had to be done. Very pretty in there!
Doing the Bimini Loop, named, I believe, after the nearby Bimini Church Camp.
Or maybe vice-versa....
Yet another stile to climb. And more to come later on!
Across the road from the Bimini Loop and back onto the main trail.
A very slow-moving creek with a very slow-moving carp in it.
Downstream (upstream?) view of the Line 20 bridge.
The farmer's bridge over the creek
How I got over the electrified (maybe) fence!
A sea of periwinkles (look close!) One of the prettiest sections
of any trail I've been in the last two years!
Beautiful in an entirely different sort of way and indicative of the
different types of terrain I encountered today.
View from a creek bridge
Long-deserted deer stand
Out of the woods and on to.......some road somewhere
Took the worst possible pic of a pretty little village called Harmony
Off the road and back into the fields. This section was about the least-fun of
a section I've ever been on. It was about half a kilometer of thigh-high
wet weeds with almost no actual "trail". Soaking wet after this!
Back onto the roadway
And back into the fields. A very long farmer's track, leading to
those woods way off in the distance.
Bridge Over Untroubled Waters
Trail through a very long and narrow tree "copse" between two fields. I learned a new word today!
Whaddya know?! A BENCH! Yay! And there were more!
Gotta love train track pics!
Approaching Highway 7. A short jaunt along the highway......
....and I turn north on Road 110 to get back to my car! Yes! Whew!
How far I went and how long it took me.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics! 'Tis the season for great hiking. I shudder when I see the picture of the tall grass path--ticks. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my biggest fear as I was navigating the tall stuff, Stephani! Sprayed myself with Deet ahead of time and then just prayed!

      Delete