Thursday, May 30, 2013

Baby Steps: Part Three

   We've had a couple of torrential downpours here in London in the last forty-eight hours or so and I've found myself setting off for runs either in the rain or under the imminent threat of it.
   The one time I stepped out the door and only then discovered it had started raining within the last five minutes or so. Doralyn asked if I was still going to go and I paused momentarily to ponder this.
   It then occurred to me that there were several times in the winter when I ran in the tail ends of blizzards or through rivers of slush and if I could get out regularly in that, then maybe running in the rain is really a piece of cake. So I ran.
   I still wanted to do the usual trail run I'd been doing so I headed for the woods, wondering what the conditions would be like. They were as iffy as I was concerned they would be.
   It rained on me until I got to the forest and then I was at least a little more sheltered. At some point the rain stopped, though, and by the time I was out of the woods I was...well...out of the woods, weather-wise. The sun was back out and a rainbow (or part of one) appeared.

Not fun to run through (or around).

   While I was in the woods, it was swampy. Warbler Woods is already a little swampy, necessitating plank footbridges here and there. With all the added rain, portions of it were a quagmire.
    On top of all else, my heel was twinging a bit. I'm at the point in "rehab" where I'm trying to decide if I should actually be out on the foot every day. Prior to the p-fash, I was only training every other day, running 5k. Because lately the actual running portion of my outings has been fairly minimal, I've been going out every day and run/walking the 5k. Slowly, I've been increasing the running and now I'm noticing the recovery time is taking longer so...time for a day off. Had a long day at work today so not running didn't bother me. Likely tomorrow I'll get out there again.
Pick up your feet!
   In the meantime, happy and healthy running to you all and here's a pic of the nasty little root system I was telling you about earlier!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment