Sunday, February 26, 2017

Finally Getting That 8K Run Done!

   After almost a full week with temps in the teens here in southwestern Ontario, I found myself almost drooling at the prospect of being able to get on the trails yesterday and run "normally". 
Hard to tell, but this is about 45
degrees straight up (which would
actually be 90 degrees, but
              you know what I mean) 

   Alas, overnight, the temps plummeted about 12 degrees and I found myself headed out into what they call "seasonal" weather which, in Canada in February, is not always the best...
   I ended up making three trips back into the house before I even got out of the driveway, just to find warmer things to wear. I kept on thinking to myself once I get warmed up I'm not gonna need this but eventually I found out that yes, I WAS gonna need all this!
   Once again, headed off to Komoka Provincial Park and this time I headed east on the main trail. I'd  managed to avoid this stretch of trail last weekend mainly because there were a couple of steep and very rocky descents/climbs I wanted to avoid. Yesterday, though, I decided to give her a go.
Love running through pine needles!
   After a week of warmth and sun, the muddy conditions which marred last week's run had, for the most part, resolved themselves. Things were a little dicey in a couple of spots where the trail crossed natural wet areas but for the most part the footing was great.
   The eastern stretch of the trail is only a couple of kilometers long and ends at one of the former entry parking lots. I normally turn around at this point but I noticed what seemed like another trail on the other side of the lot, so I decided to do a little exploring. I was also hoping that this trail would hook me back up to the main trail on the far side of those rocky climbs I just mentioned.
   I soon found myself back down by the Thames River briefly before this new trail turned and led me back to the main one. Kind of nice to see new trail but it also led me back to the part of it that didn't avoid those rocky climbs so I ended up having to do them anyway. And I guess I'm probably the better for it!
There's a deer in this pic. I've named him "Waldo".
   Taking unmarked trails was my modus operandi for the day day and I basically took everyone I found, unless I was already on one. This modus operandi also got me lost and had me running through thickets and marshy areas until I finally saw something familiar. 
   My plan for today was to try and do the 8K I didn't manage to complete last weekend. The improved footing yesterday actually helped make this happen. There were a fair number of rest breaks taken mainly due to all the hills but I never walked so I actually did run 8K and there was some satisfaction in this. The knees are feeling it a little bit today, I think mainly due to the climbs, so I may need to do a little strengthening in that area. Then again, maybe if I just keep on running... 
This is the "everyone hangs
out at this tree" tree
Partly why this was an unmarked trail

No comments:

Post a Comment