Sunday, June 22, 2014

Go the Distance 10K Re-cap

   Yay, I am done the Go the Distance 10K! And if I don't want to, I never have to do it again! (but I suspect I will)
The "before" pic.

    If you've been reading along lately, you know that I've been having quite a bit of trepidation about this morning's race here in London. It was my first 10K and the training leading up to it had been almost non-existent. I also had the very realistic fear of coming in dead last.
   Well, although I started dead last (self-fulfilling prophecy?), I didn't finish dead last, so, in that regard, the race was successful.
The race started just adjacent to Budweiser
Gardens, home of this year's Memorial Cup.
  It was an absolutely gorgeous morning here in London and this buoyed my spirits as Doralyn and I headed downtown. The race followed an out-and-back course which took us from downtown London along city streets til eventually we got to the river and just followed it. This was one of the nice parts for me because this got me back on trails I'd done a fair bit of running on back in the endless winter.
  
Covent Garden Market, where the
racers gathered. Pretty cool place,
if you ever wanna visit!
I did start out dead last; I tend to line up near the back at the starting line and as the race began I took a look behind me and...no-one! My plan had been to run at my marathon (giggle) pace and let the chips fall where they may but it was a little discouraging to know that a couple of hundred people were watching my sad ass marching down King Street in last place, with the rest of the runners slowly pulling away so I cranked it up a notch, just to keep up.
   About half a kilometer along, I came up behind a woman who had already slowed down almost to a walk. I passed her with an encouraging word and immediately felt better--I had the feeling I no longer had my "last place" issues to deal with and, all of the sudden, just started to enjoy myself.
   Along the way, I passed a couple more people. Right off the bat, I had noticed this older woman running up ahead and flash-backed to my last race where I got beat out by this seventy-year-old lady speedwalker. This lady today might even have been the same lady, wasn't sure, but I was wary! We did this "you pass me, I pass you" thing for awhile and at one point, as it was her turn to pass me she said "You're not going to let yourself lose to a 77-year-old woman, are you?" I laughed out loud and told her that was exactly my strategy!

Yay!
   Walk breaks were plentiful and the last kilometer was slightly uphill and a bit of a killer but then...it was done! It felt so good to get this 10K out of the way and not have to worry about it anymore. As well, it means I can just get out and run for fun again without the feeling that I'm "training" for something in particular. The next race up is a 5K and that's gonna feel like coming home!


7 comments:

  1. Sounds great! Good job! Way to let the 77 year old women take the Win!! What a gentleman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol Sorry, Kathy, I might have to relinquish my "gentleman" badge, I did eventually pass the lady (I think the ENERGYbits might have kicked in...lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, Brian! All that worrying was for nothing. I have learned that in a chip timed race, I would rather be farther back than in the front. 1) I don't want to screw up the fast runners who should be ahead of me, and 2) I feel good when I pass other runners. It lookes like that gave you a good confidence boost, too! Now sign up for your next 10k and GET TRAINING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephani, the time was pretty bad but I do put that down to a lack of training. No 10Ks for a couple of months but am going to throw a lot more long runs into the usual stuff I do.

      Delete
  4. Way to beat the 77 year old woman :)

    Good job Brian, a 10K is a tough distance and you didn't let it get you...way to power through the mental and physical challenge! Glad you had a good time too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol Thanks, Mike, and thank God for the seventy-seven year-old woman, hope she's around next year!! It's funny how there isn't generally a more gradual change with race distances--they want you to go from running a 5K to running TWICE as far! Not fair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so awesome. Congrats & sorry for the late response. I tend to put reading blogs last on my to do list. You were talking about "leapfrogging" when you and another runner pass eachother over and over again. Leapfrog! I always have the fear of coming in dead last too. (Not that there's anything wrong with it.) good for you for stepping up a notch & keeping up your (ha ha) marathon pace!

    ReplyDelete