Friday, March 1, 2013

Shutting her down?

   Agonizingly, it appears as though I may have come down with a case of plantar fasciitis (p-fash) and, frankly, I'm a little annoyed. More than annoyed, actually.
   I had a bout of p-fash the summer before last. It was the result of a little too much ball hockey and all the twisting, turning and sudden stopping which goes along with it. I took a little time off and eventually got some store-bought orthotics. Since then I really haven't had a hard time with it.
   About a week ago, though, I started to develop that familiar tenderness in the bottom of my right heel. At the time it was a little difficult to differentiate that discomfort from all the general discomfort my aging body feels right after a run and then again the next morning. I found, though, that the heel pain was lingering beyond the rest of my pain and starting to interfere with my mobility at home and at work.
   The p-fash seems to have shown up round about the same time I increased my running workload so I see this increase as being the culprit. I've shut things down the last couple of days and heel is starting to feel much better.
   Tomorrow, however, is the day I was planning on running 10k for the first time. I have been looking forward to this for a long time and the thought of not running it is a  little hard to take. If I was in a lot of pain right at the moment then I wouldn't even consider running it but, like I said, I'm not feeling too bad. And if I'm not feeling too bad today then I know I'm going to want to run tomorrow.
   This is all fine and dandy and I suppose I could run tomorrow and if the run really did a number on my heel I could then just shut things down for an extended period, no harm done.
   The bigger picture, though, is that I have a 5k race coming up near the end of April and shutting things down right at the moment for any long period would put quite the crimp in my training for that race.
   So what to do...?
   Fortuitously, I have my yearly physical scheduled for this coming Monday morning. The p-fash wasn't on the original agenda for discussion but now most certainly is. If p-fash is going to possibly be something I may be running into (giggle) then I think I might be looking at a script for orthotics. Seems like the right thing to do.
   As far as tomorrow goes, I imagine I will just get up and see how I feel. Common sense says don't run, everything else says run!

2 comments:

  1. Cousin Marj here as well. I found custom orthotics did wonders for my p-fash, but hubby Rick just went to a medical supply pharmacy and got heel cups, and that worked for him for a number of years at a much cheaper price

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Marj! (been awhile) I do have a pair of heel cups that seemed to help quite a bit with the sports and I likely will give them a try the next time I decide to hit the streets. For the moment I've decided to take a few days off and presently am already feeling quite a bit better. My understanding is that orthotics are covered through work so why not give 'em a try I say! Thanks for the input! Take care!

      Delete