Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Science of Sole (My Good Monday)

   Monday was a great day for running!
   Well...I didn't actually run but I did have my first appointment at the Fowler Kennedy clinic here in London to see if there was anything they might be able to do about this now-recurring plantar fasciitis (p-fash) I've been struggling with for over a month now.
   I had an appointment scheduled with Dr. Colin Dombroski, a certified pedorthist and the only one in Canada with a PhD in Health and Rehabilitation Science. He is also the founder and head of SoleScience, a group of professionals who specialize in pedorthic and kinesiology services. SoleScience operates out of the same building as and is affiliated with the Fowler Kennedy sports medicine clinic, one of the most renowned in the world.
   Once I got over the part where I couldn't remember the name of my work's group insurance provider and then had to be sent back to my seat to fill out the reverse side of the questionnaire they give new patients, the appointment went very well.
   I was greeted right on time by Colin, who took me back into the assessment area. He was very eager to hear about my problem and quite interested in analyzing my own personal feedback on it. He then went on to examine both my feet and watch me walk back and forth across the room. In short order, both his affability and knowledgeability made me comfortable that I was in good hands.
   He also took a look at the old pair of Asics I'd been running in since the summer. He was amazed at the unusualness of the wear pattern on them and then offered to buy them from me, so that they could be used for teaching purposes! Pretty cool.
   It was determined that orthotics would be helpful in my case so he set about taking a mold of both feet and I'll be going back next week to get them. Excellent turn-around time!
   As part of the whole procedure, one of things they'll have me do is a 3D GAiT profile. This is procedure which produces a much more accurate picture of how a person actually walks or runs, better enabling adjustments in style which would then optimize performance and/or help prevent further injury.
   Later on that day, I spoke with Colin and told him about this blog. I suggested that it might be interesting to document my SoleScience adventure and would it be okay to take pics next week. He was more than fine with this and even suggested videotaping the GAiT profile. So next week on "Strides" might be pretty entertaining...

MUCH brighter in person!
   To make my Monday even better, "running"-wise, I found out I was able to pick up my new Nike Air Pegasus+29 run shoes from the Running Room. The glow-in-the-dark neon yellow ones. These shoes are so bright yellow that when I'm wearing them around the house it looks like I'm walking on giant fireflies. My initial reaction when I saw them was nope. Then I looked at them a little longer. And a little longer. And fell in love with them! No further need for reflective garments when running at night! So far, I have only been wearing them in the house and will not likely actually run in them til the orthotics are ready. On top of everything else, the heel still hurts, so I'm happy to wait for a bit.
   So that's the story of my great Monday for "running"! Knowing that the p-fash is being tended to by experts and that the weather is finally looking like it's turning around and that I've got great feeling shoes to run in has me excited for a whole new beginning!   

2 comments:

  1. So maybe I do need more than 50 bucks for a pair of sneakers? They look really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They ARE pretty cool but I think the jury's still out on whethere you need to spend big bucks on shoes for running or not. I probably wouldn't have myself if birthday money hadn't magically dropped into my lap. Strange how that happens, isn't it...?

      Delete