Friday, June 20, 2014

Uh oh....

   My plan was to go out for an 8K run today and test a batch of ENERGYbits I got for Father's Day. I wanted to do this in preparation for my 10K race on Sunday.
   It did not go well.
   I got to about 5K and then tanked right out. Couldn't force myself to run any further.
   I had been attempting to run with scheduled one minute walk breaks every 12 minutes and then gradually make the walk breaks a little more frequent. This worked til about the 40-minute mark and then nothing could get me going again.
   It occurs to me that if I can barely complete a 5K run section then it might be a little presumptuous to assume that I'm going to be able to complete a 10K run on Sunday.
   Unless maybe adrenaline kicks in!
   As I was running this aft, I kept waiting for the ENERGYbits to kick in. My expectation was that I would miraculously not feel tired at the usual times. This did not appear to be what happened today. But I will try again Sunday....
   At this point, I have absolutely no strategy for this race on Sunday. I have the feeling that if I plan on walking intervals then they're gonna have to be a lot more frequent than they were today. The other option is to run at my marathon (giggle) pace for the entire race and see what happens. My "marathon" pace (I have never run a marathon, mind you) is simply what a lot of people would more aptly describe as a very brisk walk. This would likely get me back to the finish line round about the same time the awards ceremony ends....
   Or maybe I should just go and have fun, chat with people, joke around, commiserate a little, enjoy the scenery take lots of pics, that kind of thing. That sound okay??
   Or should I call in the big guns, as evidenced by the only pic I took this aft.....
God is in town...?

5 comments:

  1. have fun sunday!!!! its a good day for a run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just have fun. I met Jeff Galloway last week, the father of run / walk and he was saying that much shorter intervals even 15 seconds/15 seconds can greatly improve your performance. I am not sure I would know how to accelerate and decelerate in that amount of time but maybe 1 min/1 min.

    ReplyDelete