Friday, June 20, 2014

This might get ugly...

   Okay, so this weekend I am running the Go the Distance 10K here in London. This is part of the London Honda Road Race series and will be my first race at that distance. I've only actually ever run 10K twice before. My times were horrible and I'm realistically looking at the possibility of coming in last on Sunday.
   I have no doubt that I'll be able to run the distance (likely with the odd walking break) but in the last 10K race in this series the last place finisher had the same time as I've run it in my two opportunities.
   Knowing this, I had planned on training intensively for the last two months.
   This did not happen.
   I'm not exactly sure why it didn't, apart from being sick for part of that and having some back issues. There were, though, plenty of opportunities to get out there and follow the Higdon training plan I'd found. About as much as I did was a couple of the longer runs.
   The temp on Sunday is supposed to be close to 80 degrees, whereas the other 10Ks I've run were in freezing, winter weather. So I  might have a bit of an issue with hydration, just hoping there's lots of water stops!
Race day lifesavers?
   On top of everything else, I've stopped being gluten-free over the last month and a half or so and I'm not sure how I'm handling this. The original idea was that it might keep me away from a lot of extra carbs (which it did) and I have possibly over-indulged in the "good stuff" since. I know for a fact that I've gained pretty close to five extra pounds since switching back and just generally not felt as good.
   One of the things I am looking forward to, however, is being able to try out my new supply of ENERGYbits! Doralyn surprised me with ENERGYbits for Father's Day last week and I've been dying to try them out ever since. Basically, ENERGYbits are tiny little tabs of concentrated spirulina algae and are designed as an energy booster, to be used prior to working out or sports. I made need them Sunday! I will use them for a shorter run on Friday, just to make sure they sit well, and then we'll see how it goes on race day!
   Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I hope you love your bits!! Best of luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you luck and tons of fun. Remember this is about YOU. Enjoy yourself & screw the PR and all that noise. You're a runner and runners have ups and downs. Good luck with the Energy Bits too. I tried a sample & they seemed to do the trick. (I am too poor to buy more :)

    ReplyDelete